February 10, 2010
Dear Tom,
For much of my childhood, I spent a week or two every summer at Camp Wright on the shores of the Chesapeake. Each session, we had a special evening event during which we listened to your stories and music as the sun set over the Bay. It was here that I first became captivated by the lyrics to “Chesapeake Born”. The words to this song moved me, even as the young child that I was, for I so strongly identified with the chorus. I still poignantly remember the way those evenings stirred my soul, and the manner in which your words connected me to the Chesapeake.
I was born on the Eastern Shore, loved being outdoors, and spent as much time as possible on or in the Bay. The chorus of Chesapeake Born became my anthem, a soundtrack of sorts that guided me through the phases of my life, that grounded me and fed the roots I continued to grow in this soil. I never strayed too far from this region, choosing even to attend college here. Years after hearing you sing at my summer camp, I walked into Michael Glaser’s literature class at St. Mary’s College and there you were, a gentle presence reminding me of where I belong. While I explored a bit – a brief stint in Florida, another in the Columbia River Gorge - I always answered that voice in my heart calling me back, the one reminding me that “I’m Chesapeake born” and “bound to thee”.
It has been 11 years since the day I sat with you in that classroom. I am no songwriter, but I have my teaching certifications and a master’s degree in ecology so that I too may feed the roots my students are growing here by the Bay. At present, I am employed by two of the most challenging, yet endearing employers, both of whom are also “Chesapeake Born”. I am raising them to know and love their Bay - its beauty, its plight, and the culture that surrounds it. And as we traverse our days, we are singing, echoing your voice that continues to sing in our hearts.
I did not want another day to go by without acknowledging to you the profound influence your work has had on my life. I thank you for sharing your immortal gift of song with us, music that will continue to inspire the generations to come.
With warm appreciation,
Melissa Grant
On April 2, 2010, almost 2 months after I sent this letter, Tom Wisner passed away. As he fought his battle with cancer, he hoped that his life had been "for a purpose". I can assure you, Tom, that it was.
2 comments:
Ok, I just burst into tears. So glad he was able to read it....
Melissa this is a beautiful tribute. How lucky you are to have such memories. Now I want to hear the song.
Post a Comment