Today was a very special day.
It was one of those days when everything came full circle, when I was brought back in time to a pivotal experience, when I was able to relive the joys of my youth, but more importantly, share these with my child. Donning my shirts from 25 years ago, now vintage, we arrived for Bella's first week at Camp Wright. It was here that my devotion to the Chesapeake Bay was affirmed, where the path to my current career was set, where my roots grew even deeper into the Eastern Shore, here where I first heard the words to Tom Wisner's song "Chesapeake Born". And so it is with this post, that I resurrect the blog, neglected as a result of the busy schedule of a full-time working mom.
After getting her settled, we took a little tour. Some things have changed but many have not.
The bell that woke us every morning is still in use...
... and Clary Hall still serves as a gathering place...
... and a place to leave one's mark.
The girls' side of campus looks very much the same. (And Bella has already made a new friend! See her walking back to her cabin?)
We had one very happy camper:
Few things compare to the excitement I used to feel turning down that long gravel lane each summer. And as we left today, I felt such contentment knowing that my daughter was embarking on her very own experience of being Chesapeake born.
Thank you Tracy, thank you Dee, for making this possible.















3 comments:
I'm grinning from ear to ear, remembering when Dad and I first took you to Camp Wright. Hard to believe that Bella is now there. Time has passed too quickly!!
I know she will have a wonderful time, and you will be able to share your Camp Wright stories with each other.
I can't wait to hear all about hers.
Love you, Mom/Nana
Awwwwww, weepy now <3 (wish I had an auntie-cam so I could share her memories with you as they happen :o)
Very sweet, Bella looks so excited! Did Blue Doll go to camp too?
Post a Comment